February 02, 2008

Ski and Bike for Darfur

In an effort to disseminate all the nonprofit news brought to our attention, Moving Mountains news editor Amee Hinkley and I (Editor) are going to regularly post information about nonprofit events, grants, news, etc, on our new Moving Mountains Magazine Blog. Our hope is to eventually have a comprehensive website where we can publish this stuff in an orderly and easy to archive fashion. For now, however, we will utilize the wonderful and free blog technology offered by Blogger to disseminate information.

I received this email from Canadian climber Jeremy Frimer a few days ago regarding his efforts to raise awareness about the genocide occurring in Darfur, Sudan.

-Lizzy Scully

"I'm worn out from sitting back in my comfortable little life and watching genocide unfold in Darfur. But I won't rant about it. It's time for action! I'd like to invite you---the grassroots Outdoor Community---into a project that I'm organizing, to be part of the solution. The 10c version is up on our Ski And Bike For Darfur Website.

The 2c version goes like this: it's an outdoor adventure relay of 200km, from the top of Whistler Mountain to a rally at the Olympic Clock in downtown Vancouver this April. The goal is to raise awareness and motivate the Canadian government to take a leadership role in ending the conflict. What the association between outdoor adventure sports, the Olympic Clock, and Darfur? What Outdoor Adventure sports? When? You don't get that for 2c. It's all up on the blog.

This project is too big for me to take on alone. My fellow exec members at STAND (Students Take Action Now: Darfur) are helping out in a big way and I've sent letters to just about everyone that has interests in the outdoors or compassion for the victims in Darfur to get involved. But any involvement that you would like to invest would be huge. Express interest and maybe we can brainstorm...

Best,
Jeremy Frimer

No comments: